Friday, April 21, 2017

Mama's Sweet Bean Chili

My mom made the most delicious chili (probably because of the brown sugar)! I loved those cold winter evenings when its delicious smell filled the room. My stomach is growling right now thinking about it!


Of course, when served, the chili was presented with homemade rolls, muffins or corn bread; and ice-cold raw milk, right from the milk barn.

I have talked before about my mom's thriftiness. I am sure it found its roots deep in her childhood. My mom was the youngest of 12 children. The picture below shows my grandma in the center surrounded by her 4 sisters. Their names: Faye, Delia (Mary Effie their mother), Mary, and Beulah. In the front center is my mom Theresa (pronounced Thres-sa). To this day I follow her meal-saving "thrifty" rule. The first day with the hamburger is for tacos, but fry enough to have leftovers to make the next day's chili or spaghetti.

I hope you enjoy one of my favorite Mama Recipes: 
Sweet Bean Chili
Ingredients:

1 large (or 2 small) can pork and beans
1 small can lima beans
1 small can kidney beans
1 large onion
1/2 green pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar (or molasses)
1/lb. ground beef
1/2 cup ketchup
1 T. dry mustard
Dash of chili powder

Directions:

Cook the ground beef, onions and green pepper. Add all of the ingredients in a large bowl (drain all beans). Place in a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

*This is a recipe that I love to adapt! I have added salsa, barbecue sauce, chili sauce, green chilies, can of stewed tomatoes, I just add “there-abouts” just like my mama taughted me. I have tried numerous types of beans. I especially love to garish with chopped green onions, sour cream and grated cheese. 

It is an easy meal to make early in the morning, throw in the crockpot, and cook all day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment