Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Cowboy Cookies


I loved when my mom made my favorite cookies. I have no idea why she called them cowboy cookies, but they were delicious! Still today when I think of them I smell that delicious waft in the air. In fact, I think I might whip up a batch right now just for the smell alone.

Theresa's Cowboy Cookies


2 c. flour
1 t. soda
½ t. salt
½ t. baking powder
1 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 c. oats
1 t. vanilla.

Sift together and set aside the flour, soda,  salt, and baking powder. Blend together the shortening, sugar, and eggs. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the flour a cup at a time and mix well. Add the rolled oats and vanilla. Drop by teaspoon on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

*Note: If you are like me and don't want to run to the store to find the shortening, you can substitute 1 cup shortening for 1 cup + 2 T. of butter. It works and the cookies are still yummy, but not perfectly Theresa.
I love this picture of Theresa and her best friend Grace showing a little leg in the 1930's. Pretty racy mom!



1 comment: