Thursday, December 14, 2017

Theresa's Fruitcake

Every Christmas my mom, Theresa, would bake and bake and bake! We had so many delicious treats to eat; divinity, fudge, honey candy, sugar cookies, Christmas bread, and of course Fruit Cake!

One of my favorite baking memories I have of my mom is when she accidentally put Chili Powder in the Fruitcake instead of Cinnamon. Honestly it tasted pretty bad. My Dad, Ed, who was a remarkable, kind, and compassionate man, kept telling my mom, "This fruitcake is delicious, give me another piece!" My mom would take off to get him another piece and he would smile at me and give me a wink! I thought that wink meant, "That fruitcake is terrible!" However I now know that wink meant "I love your little mama." He did love her! In fact one of the last things he told me before he died was buy your mama a dress once in a while and please don't let her get married again. I can't share her.

So here is my mom's fruitcake recipe as a tribute to a man that loved her so much that he ate her failed batch of fruitcake with love in his eyes. I miss you Daddy.

Theresa's Fruitcake


Add 1 1/2 cups raisins in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and take off the stove. Set the pan aside as you mix the remaining ingredients.

Cream together 2 sticks butter, 6 eggs, 11/4 cup sugar,  ½ cup brown sugar and 2 T. Cinnamon.

Gradually add 2 cups flour, 1 T. baking powder,  ½ t. salt, 1 T. vanilla and 1 tsp. brandy flavoring, and 1 tsp. almond extract.

Mix in 1 16 oz container of candied fruit (chopped) and 1 8 oz container candied pineapple (chopped). Drain the plumped raisins and add 1 cup pecan halves

Grease a bread pan (or angel food cake pan)

.  Bake at 300 for 90 minutes.  Take out of the oven and cover tightly in foil, place back in the oven for 30 more minutes.  Turn off the oven,
 and let the cake stay in the oven until the cake has completely cooled. *Don't open the oven!

1 comment: