Thursday, September 28, 2017

Mom's Pot Roast

This is a picture of my Aunt Effie Hansen VanBuren, known as "Aunt Faye." Because my maternal grandmother died almost a decade before I was born, my mother's oldest sister "Faye" filled the slot of grandmother for me. I truly loved spending time at her house, playing on her pump organ,  swinging on that tire swing, and admiring her pansies.  I also loved  having her come and visit us at our house in Chester.

She was always so thoughtful and kind to me, even making it a point to make it to my high school graduation to hear my speech. Sadly she died only a month before my wedding, this broke my heart because I wanted her to be a part of that day.

I love this picture of her cooking in her kitchen in Manti. I wonder what is hidden under the lids of the pots? Perhaps Delicious Pot Roast?

Theresa's Pot Roast

1 Beef Roast
2-3 cups water
1 onion cut into cubes or strips
1 chopped celery stalk
2 beef bullion cubes
3 T. butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Put the roast in a covered pot (just like Aunt Faye's) and bring to a boil. Turn heat to a medium simmer for about an hour.

Mix into a paste: 3 T. flour into 1/4 cup water. Add this mixture to the pot and stir it in. (This will make a gravy base to the pot roast).

Add to the pot cubed potatoes and carrots; cook until the vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked as desired (apx. 45-60 minutes). While the Pot roast is cooking, add water as needed.

When serving strain all of the cooking juices for a yummy gravy. Thicken with more flour if necessary.




SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment