Monday, January 16, 2017

Theresa's Famous Fudge

Every Sunday night our family made together some sort of treat be it divinity, honey taffy, cookies, or fudge. I loved when I heard the pots and pans began to bang around because I knew there would be delicious smells filling the air. I always went as quick as I could to help my mom make her taste of the day.

Fudge is still my weakness today, I simply can't leave it alone. Consequently I have to be careful not to make it too often; but I think I will need to whip up a batch soon.

Here is Theresa's famous fudge!

Uncle Neal or Myles, My mom and her niece Barbara
Combine in a saucepan 2 cups white sugar, ½ cup old fashioned powdered cocoa (unsweetened), and 1 cup milk. Stir all ingredients together on medium heat. Continue stirring constantly until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat and simmer the mixture. DO NOT STIR AGAIN!

Cook until the candy reaches 238 degrees if you have a candy thermometer. But if not, do it Theresa's way and spoon out a small portion of the mixture and drop it into a cup of cold water. If the mixture forms a soft ball, dump the water from the cup and feel the ball with your fingers. It should stay formed and flatten if you press it, rather than fall apart.

When done, remove the mixture from heat and add 4 T. butter and 1 t. vanilla. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.

Using an electric mixer, mix the fudge until it looses it's sheen. Dump from bowl and knead the candy by hand. Shape the candy into a long snake. Cut the fudge into desired pieces and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment