Monday, September 4, 2017

The Best Home Canned Peaches Recipe

Why are your peaches so much better than my mom's? That is the question friends of my children would ask when they had some of the yummy golden delights.

I had two secrets. The beautiful organic peach trees in my garden and Theresa's "How To Can Peaches" recipe. I loved canning peaches with my mom, it was a yearly date to can peaches together each September. ( I miss those times).
Today Scott and I canned 42 quarts in our new canning kitchen.

Here are the step-by-step directions.
Sanitize the jars in the dishwasher.

Put seven of those jars facedown in a shallow pan of water and boil for about 5 minutes.

Start a pot of water boiling that will be used to dip the peaches in for easy pealing. Turn heat to med. after water boils.

Take the jars from the boiling water and add 1/4 cup sugar to each. (You can add more if you like sweeter peaches).

Heat water and add just above the sugar in each jar and stir.
Stir the sugar water until the sugar is dissolved.

Wash the peaches.


Add the washed peaches to the water and set timer for 3 minutes.

Turn the heat off of the pan used to heat bottles but keep on burner. Add the seven lids and rings.
After 3 minutes in the hot water, remove peaches and run under cold water.

Cut the peach in half, and the skin will slide right off.

Fill the jars with peaches.


When jars are full, add hot water to the peaches to fill the jar, leaving ½ inch headspace.

Wipe the top of the jar to remove any residue.
Place a lid on each jar.
Tighten the rings.
Place the jars in the water bath canner.
Fill the canner with water until the water touches above your fingernail. 

Turn the heat onto high on your stove. *We love to use our gas camping stove so that we can do two pots at a time and keep heat and mess outside. 

When the water begins to boil, turn the head to med. high and time for  40 minutes. (This is for my altitude, check the internet for your boiling time.

Remove the bottles from the water bath.


Place the peaches to cool undisturbed for 24 hours. Then check that all are sealed, remove rings if you wish and put in your pantry.
Carolyn, Theresa, Kathy, Aunt Faye, Sheila

Thank you mom for teaching me how to can! Your method makes delicious fresh tasting peaches that are not ruined with heavy syrup.

2 comments:

  1. You inspire me! My mom and I always made organic peach-vanilla bean jam. I want to try canning peaches now. Thank you, Kathy! <3 Palma :)

    ReplyDelete