Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Peach Syrup Compote

Tonight I made some delicious peach syrup compote with the delicious peaches from our new peach trees we planted last summer.

I learned how to make syrup from my mom, Theresa. I remember her whipping up a batch of homemade syrup almost every morning. One morning my mom tripped as she was bringing the hot syrup to the table and the hot syrup poured all over me. She rushed me immediately to the shower for a douse of cold water. I quickly changed my clothes, bandaged a few spots, and even made the school bus on time.

Theresa at age 7

I thought a lot about my mom tonight as Scott and I put our peaches to use as we prepared to store some delicious freezer syrup for Saturday morning pancakes this winter.

Of course I add honey to any recipe I can, rather than sugar, because that is what my mom did. She was raised as a beekeeper's daughter. My grandpa's nickname was "Oscar Honeybee." He ran quite a large operation supplying honey to local restaurants, grocery stores, and more. 



Peach Syrup Compote



16 cups peeled and cubed peaches
4 cups water
4 cups honey
1/4 cup lemon juice.

Instructions: Bring a pan of hot water to boil and place a few peaches in the water for about 3 minutes. Pull out the peaches, run under cold water, slide off the skins and remove the pit.

Continue the process until you have 16 cups of peeled and cubed peaches.

Place the cubed peaches and 4 cups water in a large pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer over medium for 20 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.

Run the peaches and water through the blender to blend to desired consistency. We like ours smooth, but you can leave chunky if you desire.

Add 4 cups of honey (local if you can find it for the added health benefits), and 1/4 cup lemon juice. 

Return to heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool for about 15 minutes and then place in freezer tight containers.




No comments:

Post a Comment